Wednesday, February 4, 2015

old photo redux

I want to show you what I created today.
I started with a color copy of an old photo 
(this picture is of my father-in-law and his twin brother - isn't it cute?)
The color copy is from the copy center (not my printer) and the ink is not water soluble - so I can safely work on it with paint.


First I mounted the photo on foam core.
Then I used watercolor paints to tint the photo.
Next: gessoed a border, upon which I painted a pattern with acrylic paint.
I added the word "twins," copper foiled the edge, and attached jump rings for a chain. 


It now hangs happily in my home.


The story is that the larger boy on the right would take the baby bottle of the boy on the left - hence he is larger. 
But it's just a story.
My guess (as a Mom) is that one boy was quiet and earnest. The other was go go go.
The quiet, earnest boy is my father-in-law. To this day he is a quiet and reflective man - as sweet as they come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love what you did. So adorable and they were cuties by half in their matching outfits. xox

Heidi said...

This is a wonderful mix of vintage and modern, it is such a fabulous piece. You are so creative and I love that you tell the steps you take to make your art. Thanks for sharing!

Heidi said...

This is a wonderful mix of vintage and modern, it is such a fabulous piece. You are so creative and I love that you tell the steps you take to make your art. Thanks for sharing!

~*~Patty S said...

A precious photo made more so by your artist's hands Kimmie.
Two cuties they are indeed!
Happy February...
oxo